The Tijdschrift van de Koninklijke Vereniging voor Nederlandse Muziekgeschiedenis [TVNM] is one of the oldest musicological journals to have withstood the adversities of time. The first issue was published in 1882, superseding Bouwsteenen, the Society's yearbook, of which three volumes had appeared in print (1869-1881). During its long history the official title of the TVNM underwent several changes:
• Vols. 1-8 (1882-1908) Tijdschrift der Vereeniging voor Noord-Nederlandsche Muziekgeschiedenis
• Vols. 9-16 (1909-1946) Tijdschrift der Vereeniging voor Nederlandsche Muziekgeschiedenis
• Vols. 17-18 (1948-1959) Tijdschrift voor Muziekwetenschap
• Vols. 19-44 (1960-1994) Tijdschrift van de Vereniging voor Nederlandse Muziekgeschiedenis
• Vols. 45- (1995- ) Tijdschrift van de Koninklijke Vereniging voor Nederlandse Muziekgeschiedenis
Over the years the TVNM has been published under the supervision of a chief editor. Among the best known editors were Albert Smijers (1921-1955), Eduard Reeser & John Daniskas (1959-1967), and Willem Elders (1968-1988). When Elders withdrew in 1988 the care for the TVNM was entrusted to an editorial board under the supervision of a general editor (Arend Jan Gierveld, 1989-1997; Eric Jas, 1998- )
Since 1973 the TVNM has been published with a frequency of one volume per year. Yearly issues are regularly combined in one special number devoted to a single topic.
The history of the TVNM is entwined with the history of the KVNM and of Dutch musicology in general. At present the TVNM welcomes articles on music and music history of the Netherlands (in the broadest sense of the word) from the Middle Ages to modern times, including musical analysis, iconography and organology, popular music and cultural studies.
Articles of TVNM older than five years are available digitally via jstor. At this moment, the 'moving wall' is being reduced to two years.
STUDENT CONFERENCE: RESEARCH AT THE BORDERS OF MUSIC AND CULTURE
Call for Presentations for the Second Annual Student Conference by
IASPM Benelux, KVNM and the Third IASPM-D-A-CH.....